Oregon issues gun permit licenses for the possession of firearms.
Only applicants who meet the requirements provided by gun laws can successfully apply for the gun license.
Oregon Gun Permit Summary
Oregon is a shall-issue state, and the county sheriff of a local county is in charge of the application for pistol permits.
The sheriff has the discretion to reject a permit application on the grounds that an applicant poses a danger with the possession of firearms.
There are no purchase permits to buy firearms, but it is compulsory to undergo a criminal record check before completing a purchase in Oregon.
- Recommended Reading: Oregon Gun Laws
How To Get A Gun Permit In Oregon?
Anybody with legal rights to possess firearms that meet the minimum age requirement of twenty-one can apply for a pistol permit in Oregon.
Oregon issues the permit for only concealed carry.
Oregon Gun Permit Laws
Oregon allows the open carry of firearms without a pistol license for those who are eighteen years old or older.
However, local governments of political subdivisions in the state can regulate the open carry of firearms within their territory. Some may require a gun license for open carry in their boundaries.
Oregon permits the possession of machine guns and similar firearms for anybody that has a federal license. The person must also possess firearms in compliance with federal and state laws.
Teflon coated, and armor-piercing ammunition is illegal in the state.
Oregon Pistol Permit Requirements
To apply for gun licenses in Oregon, you must meet with all requirements of their gun laws, and they include the following:
- You must meet the minimum age requirement of twenty-one for Oregon concealed carry permit application.
- You must enroll for an Oregon concealed carry permit class for firearm training in the state.
- You must be a resident of Oregon and have proof of this. Your evidence can either be a state-issued driver’s license, a voter’s card, or state ID card.
- You must be a legal citizen of the United States.
- You must not be a convict for a felony.
- You must not be a convict of any misdemeanor crime for four years before applying for a gun permit in Oregon.
- You must not be a patient of any health institution in the state.
- You must be mentally stable and not have a court order that prohibits you from the possession of a firearm due to any mental issue.
- You must not be a fugitive or have an arrest warrant in your name.
- You must not be a convict of any drug-related charge, including the usage of marijuana, for more than once.
- You must not be on probation or any form of pretrial release.
- You must not be a sex offender in Oregon or any other state in the US.
- You must not be discharged from any law court for a juvenile case considered a felony or misdemeanor for adults, four years before application.
- You must not be a dishonorably discharged officer of the military.
- You must not be subject to any citation for stalking or a restricting order by the court.
- You must meet all federal laws of the United States that have to do with permit permits application.
Different Types Of Gun Permits In Oregon
A summary of firearms permits purchase Oregon includes the following:
- State permit to purchase long guns: Oregon does not issue a state permit to purchase long guns.
- State permits to purchase handguns: Oregon does not issue a state permit to purchase handguns.
- State permit to open carry: Oregon is a permissive state, so no permit required to open carry.
- State permits to conceal carry long guns: Oregon does not issue a state permit to conceal long guns.
- State permits to conceal carry handguns: Oregon issues a pistol permit to conceal carry handguns in the state.
How Much Does It Cost To Get A Gun License In Oregon?
Initial permit application in Oregon is sixty-five dollars, while a renewal permit application costs fifty dollars.
Gun Permits Application And Renewal Law In Oregon
The process to apply for a pistol permit in Oregon includes the following:
Complete Firearm Training
Apply for an Oregon concealed carry permit course and undergo the required firearm training.
Complete The Application Form
You can either visit your local sheriff to pick up an application form or download it from a website portal.
Submit The Necessary Documents
Take the following documents to your county sheriff office for submission:
- Your firearm training certificate.
- Your permit application. This should be in an envelope.
- Two identification forms.
- Provide your fingerprints at the local sheriff’s office.
Receive Application Approval
You will receive an approval mail after the processing period.
For Oregon permit renewal process, note that your gun license will be valid up to forty-five days after its expiry date if:
- You apply for a renewal license before the actual expiry date.
- You have proof that you apply for a renewal permit, and it is being processed.
- Your renewal permit application is not yet denied.
Obtain The Renewal Permit Application
You can either obtain the application at your local county sheriff’s office or apply online if your county has such requirements.
Submit The Necessary Documents
Submit the following documents alongside your completed application at the county sheriff’s office:
- The recently expired or current license.
- A driver’s license issued in Oregon.
Pay the renewal application fee, which is fifty dollars.
In some counties, you will receive your new gun license on the same day you apply. However, in others, you will have to wait for a notification mail.
Gun Permit Reciprocity With Oregon
Oregon does not honor permits from any other state in the country.
Other aspects of its reciprocity include the following:
States That Recognize Oregon Pistol Permit
In these states, you can possess firearms according to their gun laws if you have an Oregon issued gun license. They include the following:
- North Carolina
- Puerto Rico
States That Have Restricted Reciprocity With Oregon
Michigan will accept a pistol permit from Oregon, but there are other individual requirements you must meet before you can open or concealed carry, as the case may be.
States That Have Permitless Carry Policies
Most of the states under this category are permitless carry states, and you do not require a pistol permit before you open or conceal carry firearms in their territory. However, they might have different criteria for the possession of firearms, like age requirements. They are:
- New Hampshire
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
FAQs About Gun Permits In Oregon
Some of the most frequently asked questions about pistol permit application and other information you should know about Oregon gun licenses include the following:
Do I Need A Pistol Permit To Conceal Carry Firearms In Oregon?
Yes, only those that have a pistol permit can conceal carry firearms in Oregon.
For How Long Is Oregon Gun Permit Valid?
The permit is valid for four years, after which you have to apply for a renewal permit.
Can Non-Residents Apply For Oregon Gun Permits?
Only non-residents of neighboring states who are employers or have a business in Oregon can apply for a pistol permit in the state, and this is based on the discretion of a sheriff.
The process is the same as the residents’ application.
How Can I Change The Name And Address On My Oregon Pistol License?
The process to change names, addresses, and other important details on the pistol permit depend on the county of residence. The cost is fifteen dollars.
What Can I Do If I Lost My Oregon Permit Or It Gets Stolen?
For stolen or missing permits in Oregon report to any law enforcement office closest to the county or vicinity where you lose the permit.
The process for the application varies from county to county, but the replacement permits cost fifteen dollars.
How Soon Can I Apply For Oregon Gun Permit After Moving To The State?
As soon as you have proof of residency, which could be a driver’s license, state identification card, or voter’s registration card, you can apply for a gun license in Oregon.
Can I Make Use Of Oregon Pistol Permit After Moving To Another State In The Country?
Upon establishing residency in another state, your Oregon pistol permit automatically becomes invalid.
Do I Need An Oregon Pistol Permit To Open Carry In The State?
Oregon is a permissive carry state, and the state government does not mandate a permit for open carry. Still, local municipalities might require a gun license for open carry within their territory.
What Is The Minimum Age Requirement To Apply For Oregon Concealed Handgun License?
You must be at least twenty-one years old to apply for a gun license in Oregon.
Do I need A Permit To Purchase Firearms In Oregon?
No, Oregon does not issue purchase permits to buy firearms in the state.
Does My Firearm Permit Exempt Me From Completing A Criminal Record Background Check Before Buying Firearms In Oregon?
No, even if you are a pistol permit holder in Oregon, you must still complete a criminal record background check before you buy firearms in the state.
Do I Need An Oregon Gun Permit To Possess Firearms In My Private Property?
No, you do not need a pistol license to possess firearms in your home or business.
Residence in the context refers to recreational vehicles used for lawful reasons.
Do I Need To Complete A Firearm Training Before Applying For Oregon Gun Permit?
Yes, you must complete one of Oregon’s licensed training before you can apply for a pistol permit in the state.
A state-certified instructor must be in charge of such training.
What Is The Processing Period For Firearm Permits In Oregon?
The processing period to apply for gun permits in Oregon is forty-five days.
Does Oregon Have Ammunition And Firearm Restrictions?
Only federally licensed individuals in Oregon possess machine guns and similar firearms.
Also, the state prohibits Teflon coated and armor-piercing ammunition.
Is Oregon A Preemption Gun Law State?
The state has the authority to regulate firearms, but local governments can regulate the discharge of firearms and restrict or regulate the possession of firearms in off-limit places.
Can I Possess Firearms While Hunting In Oregon?
As long as you are an Oregon pistol permit holder, you can conceal carry firearms while hunting, but you cannot use it to take down wildlife.
What Is The Age Requirement For The Possession Of Firearms In Oregon?
You must be at least eighteen years old to possess firearms in Oregon.
Relevant Gun Laws Permits And Legislature In Oregon
Some Oregon pistol permit laws relating to open carry of firearms in the state that you must know include the following:
Possession Of Firearms In Private Vehicles
You can carry a firearm in your vehicle if you have an Oregon gun license. If you do not have a permit, the firearm must not be loaded and must be accessible from the passenger’s compartment of the vehicle.
Note that local municipalities can enact their laws as per the possession of firearms in private cars.
[Or. Rev. Stat. § 166.250(1)(b) and (4)(b)]
Possession Of Firearms In Roadside Areas
According to gun statues in Oregon, [OR. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 166.37], you can possess firearms in roadside areas of the state as long as you are a pistol permit holder.
Possession Of Firearms In State Parks, Forests, And Wildlife Management Area
You can possess firearms in state parks, forests, and wildlife management areas as long as you have an Oregon gun license.
[OR. Adm. Rules 629.025.0050]
[OR. Adm. Rules 635.008.0060 through 635.008.0197]
Possession Of Firearms In Restaurant And Bar Areas
Unless there is a post prohibiting firearm possession in these areas, you can conceal carry if you are an Oregon permit holder.
Possession Of Firearms In Hotels
Hotels and similar establishments can enact gun laws for the possession of firearms within their territories. So if you are a permit holder, you do not have automatic rights to possess firearms in these places except stated by their policy.