Louisiana Gun Permit: State Laws, Rules, Requirements & Online Training
Louisiana issues gun permits for the possession of firearms in the state.
To apply, you must meet all requirements provided by gun laws in the state.
Louisiana Gun Permit Summary.
Louisiana processes gun licenses at the public safety department in the state. It is a shall-issue state.
There are no purchase permits in the state, but buyers must undergo a criminal record check before buying firearms.
- Recommended Reading: Louisiana Gun Laws.
Get Your Concealed Carry Weapon Permit Online in Minutes
How To Get A Gun Permit In Louisiana.
Louisiana pistol permit application is open to residents that are twenty-one years old and still have legal rights to possess firearms.
It is a permissive open carry state.
Louisiana Gun Permit Laws.
You do not need a Louisiana pistol permit to open carry in the state. Open carry is legal for anyone that is eighteen years old or more and does not have federal or state prohibition against possessing firearms.
Louisiana does not allow the possession of assault weapons such as machine guns and semi-automatic firearms, except for federally licensed individuals. They must comply with federal regulations before the possession of such guns.
Louisiana also prohibits armor-piercing ammunition in the state.
Louisiana Pistol Permit Requirement.
To apply for a pistol permit in Louisiana, you must meet the state’s gun laws requirements, and they include the following:
- You must meet the age requirement of twenty-one before you apply for the Louisiana pistol permit.
- You must complete a state-licensed firearm training.
- You must reside in Louisiana.
- You must be a legal citizen of the United States Of America.
- You must not be a convict for any misdemeanor crime that has to do with the use of dangerous substances in the state in the last five years before application.
- You must not be a convict of any violent crime in the last five years before applying for the Louisiana pistol permit.
- You must not previously have any permit application rebuttal at least four years before the recent application.
- You must not be a fugitive of law or have an arrest warrant in your name.
- You must not be an illegal user of drugs, marijuana, intoxicant, or any other stimulating drug under the control of the drug enforcement agency.
- You must not be a patient of any mental health home unless you recover and restore your right to possess firearms.
- You must not be a dishonorably discharged member of the United States Armed Forces.
- You must meet all federal laws for the application of a pistol permit.
Different Types Of Gun Permits In Louisiana.
A summary of firearms permits in Louisiana includes the following:
- State permit to purchase long guns: Louisiana does not issue a state permit to purchase long guns.
- State permits to purchase handguns: Louisiana does not issue a state permit to purchase handguns.
- State permit to open carry: Louisiana is a permissive state, so no license required to open carry.
- State permits to conceal carry long guns: Louisiana does not issue a state permit to conceal handguns.
- State permits to conceal carry handguns: Louisiana issues a pistol permit to conceal carry handguns in the state.
How Much Does It Cost To Get A Gun License In Louisiana?
The price for Louisiana pistol permit includes the following:
Initial And Renewal Application.
The cost for the initial and renewal permit application is one hundred and twenty-five dollars.
For residents of the state that are sixty-five years old or more and active members of the United States Armed forces, the fee for initial and renewal permit is sixty-two dollars and fifty cents.
Lifetime permits in Louisiana cost five hundred dollars.
For residents of the state that are sixty-five years old or more and military members, the price is two hundred and fifty dollars.
Military veterans that are honorably discharged from duty can apply for a five years permit at zero cost. Active members of the military will pay half of the original price.
If you are applying for the Louisiana pistol permit, and you have not lived in the state for fifteen years’ prior, the application permit will carry an extra cost of fifty dollars.
Gun Permits Application And Renewal Law In Louisiana?
The application process for Louisiana pistol permit include the following:
Complete A Training Course.
You must complete a training course before you apply for the Louisiana pistol permit.
Complete Application Form.
You can either download the application or complete it online via the portal.
Take Your Fingerprint.
You can either visit a local police station, the sheriff department of a local county or the state police headquarter to obtain your fingerprint.
Submit The Necessary Documents.
To complete the application, you have to submit the following documents:
- Three copies of a notarized affidavit.
- Driver’s license issued in Louisiana, or your state identification card.
- The required fee for permit application.
- Certificate or any proof of firearm training completion.
- Multiple set of fingerprints. This should be on the FBI card.
- Documents showing marital status. If you are a divorcee, this must include a copy of the divorce settlement, a copy of the final court verdict as well as other paperwork.
- If you have an arrest history, you must include copies of the court verdict and list the violations that were dismissed, pardoned, or expunged by the court.
- If you are a member of the US military, you must include a copy of a certificate to prove this or your identification card. Honorably discharged officers must also include a document confirming this.
- For applicants that affirmed to any medical question in the application form, you must submit a medical summary document issued by a practitioner.
Mail all these documents to the police headquarter in the Baton Rouge department.
Receive Application Notification.
You will receive a mail about your application status.
The permit renewal process will begin one hundred and twenty days before the expiry date. The licensing department will send a notification in the form of writing to the licensee’s address.
You must send the renewal application back to the department at least ninety days before the expiry date.
The application continues until sixty days after the expiry date, and if you do not renew the application within this period, you have to apply for a new permit.
One of the ways you can apply for a renewal permit includes the following:
- Complete the application and submit it online.
- Download the application from the Louisiana state police website and complete pages one and two.
- Call the licensing department and request an application.
The documents to submit for renewal application includes the following:
- Proof of training application.
- A Louisiana driver’s license.
- The required fee.
If you are submitting a renewal application, mail it to the renewal department of the state police.
Gun Permit Reciprocity With Louisiana.
Louisiana reciprocates gun permits of other states that accept its pistol permit.
Category of its reciprocity includes the following:
States That Louisiana Will Accept Their Pistol Permit.
Louisiana will accept any permit issued by these states because it has a reciprocity deal with them. The states are:
- New Hampshire
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
States That Recognizes Louisiana Gun Permit.
In these states, you can possess firearms if you have a Louisiana pistol permit, but you must handle the firearm according to their gun laws. The states are:
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Puerto Rico
States That Have Restricted Reciprocity With Louisiana.
You can possess firearms with your Louisiana gun permits in these states, but you must meet specific requirements before you can do this. The states are:
- South Carolina
States That Have Permitless Carry Policy.
These are constitutional carry states in the country that allow permitless carry of firearms. They include the following:
- New Hampshire
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
FAQs About Gun Permits In Louisiana.
Some of the most frequently asked questions about Louisiana pistol permit application include the following:
Do I Need A Permit To Conceal Carry Firearms In Louisiana?
To conceal carry in Louisiana, you need a gun license.
How Long Is Louisiana Pistol Permit Valid?
Louisiana pistol permit expires five years after application.
Can Non-Residents Apply For Louisiana Pistol Permits?
No, Louisiana issues pistol permits to only residents of the state and members of the United States Armed Forces posted to the state.
How Can I Change The Name And Address On My Louisiana Pistol Permit?
You must notify the licensing department about any change of name or address within at least thirty days. Failure to do so may lead to a pistol permit suspension.
After notifying the appropriate authority, complete the change of address form online.
What Can I Do If I Lost My Louisiana Permit Or It Gets Stolen?
For cases of theft or missing permit, send a notarized statement explaining the theft or how you lost the license. Attach a police report to this statement.
The licensing unit will mail a replacement permit to your address.
How Soon Can I Apply For Louisiana Pistol Permit After Moving To The State?
As a new resident, you can apply for a Louisiana pistol permit after obtaining a driver’s license or any Louisiana identification card.
Can I Make Use Of Louisiana Pistol Permit After Moving To Another State In The Country?
Upon establishing residency in another state, the Louisiana pistol permit becomes invalid, and you have to return it to the department of public safety.
Note that anybody living in another state as a student or employee, but still retains residency in Louisiana is still a resident of the state.
Do I Need A Louisiana Pistol Permit To Open Carry In The State?
No, Louisiana does not issue permits for open carry in the state.
It is a permissive state, and anybody that is eighteen years old or more without a prohibition can open carry.
What Is The Minimum Age Requirement To Apply For Louisiana Gun License?
You must be at least twenty-one years old to apply for a Louisiana pistol permit.
Do I need A Permit To Purchase Firearms In Louisiana?
No, Louisiana does not issue a permit to buy firearms.
Does My Firearm Permit Exempt Me From Completing A Criminal Record Background Check Before Buying Firearms In Louisiana?
Only a five year Louisiana permit issued after the ninth of March twenty-fifteen can exempt a licensee from completing criminal record check, lifetime permit do not.
Do I Need A Louisiana Permit To Possess Firearms In My Private Property?
No, there is no need to own a permit before the possession of firearms in personal properties and dwelling places.
Do I Need To Complete A Firearm Training Before Applying For Louisiana Gun Permit?
Yes, you must complete firearm training before applying for a pistol permit in the state.
Is Louisiana A Preemption Gun Law State?
Yes, Louisiana became a preemption gun law state on the first of August twenty-twenty.
What Is The Age Requirement To Possess Firearms In Louisiana?
You must be at least eighteen years old to possess firearms in Louisiana.
Relevant Gun Permit Laws And Legislature In Louisiana.
Some of Louisiana gun laws relating to its pistol permit include the following:
Possession Of Firearms In Private Vehicles.
According to gun laws in the state, It is legal to possess a firearm in a privately owned car in Louisiana if you have a pistol permit.
Possession Of Firearms In Roadside Areas.
You can conceal carry firearms in roadside areas of the state, as long as you have your Louisiana pistol permit.
Possession Of Firearms In Parks, Forests, And Wildlife Areas.
According to the Louisiana statute, [La. Rev. Stat. § 56:1691], you can conceal carry firearms in Louisiana as long as you have a pistol permit or that of any state that it recognizes.
Possession Of Firearms In Restaurants And Bars.
You can possess firearms in restaurant areas with your Louisiana pistol permit or anyone from a state it recognizes, except there is a post prohibiting the possession of weapons on the premises.
However, it is a prohibition to possess a firearm while under the influence of alcohol.
Louisiana law defines under the influence of alcohol as a blood alcohol concentration level of 0.05 percent.
[La. Rev. Stat. § 95:5]
Possession Of Firearms In Hotels.
Louisiana gun law does not regulate the possession of firearms in hotels and similar establishments.
Hotels are allowed to develop their laws and policies to regulate the possession of firearms within their premises.
So you should visit a hotel website to learn more about this.
Possession Of Firearms In Employee Car Park.
In Louisiana, no employer, building owner or tenant can prohibit the possession of firearms in a locked vehicle in the parking lot.
However, it is essential that the firearm remains locked in a compartment or kept away from public view.
This section of the law does not apply to buildings or private properties that have a post prohibiting firearms possession within their premises.
La. Rev. Stat. § 32:292.1]