Wyoming Concealed Carry Weapon (CCW): Laws, Requirements, Application & Online Training
Wyoming is a constitutional carry state with unrestricted use of firearms.
However, this does not mean that you make use of firearms in every part of the state, there are still some location restrictions.
Before you open carry in Wyoming, you must get familiar with the state gun statutes on firearm possession.
Wyoming Gun Laws Summary.
Wyoming issues concealed firearm permits for the possession of guns and other weapons in the state.
The local sheriff’s office is in charge of processing the permit while Wyoming’s division of criminal investigation issues the permit.
Wyoming does not issue purchase permits to buy firearms in the state, but you must undergo the criminal record check, except if you already have a firearm permit.
Only residents of the state can apply for Wyoming concealed firearm permits.
- Recommended Reading: Wyoming Gun Laws.
Get Your Concealed Carry Weapon Permit Online in Minutes
Is Open Carry Legal In Wyoming?
Yes, you can legally open carry in Wyoming from the age of twenty-one years old upwards if you do not have a firearm prohibition.
Open Carry Laws In Wyoming.
Wyoming is a permissive open carry state, which means that permits are not a requirement to open carry.
Unlike most states in the USA, Wyoming does not restrict any ammunition type, and you can possess assault weapons as long as you comply with federal regulations.
Wyoming Open Gun Laws Quick View.
|State permit for open carry.||No||No||You do not need a permit to open carry firearms in Wyoming.|
|Firearm registrations for open carry.||No||No||Wyoming does not have any law that requires you to register firearms for open carry.|
|Assault weapon for open carry.||Yes||Yes||You can legally possess machine guns and similar weapons in Wyoming as long as you comply with federal regulations.|
|Magazine limit||No||No||There are no magazine limits in the state and no law prohibition for large capacity firearms.|
|License for the owner of a firearm.||Not required||Not required||The state does not issue any exclusive license to firearm owners.|
|Red flag law||No||No||There are no red flag laws in Wyoming, and the gun statutes do not mention the issuance of an extreme risk protection order.|
|Castle doctrine law||Yes||Yes||Wyoming is a castle doctrine state, and you can stand your ground in your home of residence and any other place you have lawful rights to be.|
|Background check for private dealers||No||No||There are no requirements for private firearm dealers in the state to complete a criminal record check before selling firearms.|
|Preemption||Yes||Yes||Yes. Wyoming has preemption gun laws, and the state government reserves all right to regulate firearms.|
|Concealed carry permit.||No||Yes||Although Wyoming is a permitless carry state, you can still apply for the concealed firearm permits.|
|Concealed carry in personal vehicle||No||Yes||You can conceal carry in your private car or another person’s, with the owner’s consent.|
|Open carry in Schools||No||No||Open carry is not allowed in schools, colleges, universities, and technical institutions in the state.|
Where Is It Legal To Open Carry In Wyoming?
Open carry in Wyoming is legal in the following areas:
- Restaurants and bars: You can open carry in the restaurant areas as long as there is no post restricting the possession of firearms in the state.
- Private vehicle: You can open carry and possess firearms in your car or any other vehicle with the owner’s consent.
- Roadside areas: Open carry is legal in Wyoming roadside areas.
- State parks and forests: You can open carry and possess firearms in parks, forests, and wildlife management areas of the state.
- Places of worship: Open carry is not illegal in places of worship, except there is a prohibition from the governing body in charge of the place.
Where Is It Illegal To Open Carry In Wyoming?
Wyoming gun laws prohibit open carry and possession of firearms in the following parts of the state:
- Schools: You cannot open carry or possess firearms in schools, either elementary or secondary, as well as colleges and universities.
- Sports field: You cannot open carry or possess firearms in any professional sports field or event in the state not related to the use of firearms.
- Law enforcement offices: You cannot open carry or use firearms in any building or property used by law enforcement officers in the state without permission from the administrator of such agency.
- Prisons: You cannot open carry or possess firearms in Wyoming prisons, jails, detention facilities, or correctional homes for juveniles.
- Courtroom: You cannot open carry or possess a firearm in any courtroom or during a court proceeding, without permission from the judge.
- Government meetings: You cannot open carry during any meeting held by a government or political body in the state.
- Legislative meeting: It is a prohibition to possess firearms during legislative sessions in Wyoming.
- Bars: You cannot open carry in bars or similar ventures meant for the sale of alcohol for on-site consumption.
- Hospitals: You cannot open carry or possess firearms in any state hospital or healthcare center.
- Prohibited places: You cannot open carry or possess firearms in any area prohibited by gun laws of the state.
FAQs About Open Carry Wyoming.
Here are some frequently asked questions you should know about open carry in Wyoming:
Is It Compulsory That I Get A Permit To Open Carry In Wyoming?
No. You can open carry in Wyoming without a permit.
Do I Need A Permit For Concealed Carry In Wyoming?
No. Wyoming issues concealed firearm permits, but since it is permitless, you do not need the license to open carry as long as you are within the required age.
What Is The Age For Open Carry In Wyoming?
You can open carry if you are twenty-one years old or more.
What Is The Minimum Age Requirement For Concealed Carry In Wyoming?
You can conceal carry if you are at least twenty-one years old.
What Is The Age Requirement To Apply For Wyoming Concealed Firearm Permit?
To apply for a Wyoming firearm permit, you must be twenty-one years old or more.
However, if you have a recommendation from any law enforcement agency or the sheriff’s office, you must be at least eighteen years old to apply.
At What Age Can I Legally Purchase A Firearm In Wyoming?
You must be twenty-one years old before you buy most firearms in Wyoming, except eighteen years old for the purchase of rifles and shotguns.
Is There A Red Flag Law In Wyoming?
No. Wyoming gun laws do not say anything about red flag laws or the issuance of an extreme risk protection order in the state.
Can A Non-resident Apply For Wyoming Firearm Permit?
No. The permit is available to only residents in the state.
However, non-residents can use permits from any state of residence in the USA, that has reciprocity with Wyoming.
Is Wyoming A Constitutional Carry State?
Yes. Wyoming is a constitutional carry state, and residents do not need a permit to make use of firearms.
Can I Open Carry Knives In Wyoming?
Yes. You can openly carry any knife type in Wyoming, but there are location restrictions for schools, courts, sports fields, and every other location where firearms are illegal in the state.
Can I Conceal Carry Knives In Wyoming?
Yes. You can lawfully conceal carry knives and any other type of weapon in the state if you do not have any state prohibition to possess deadly weapons or firearms.
Does Wyoming Restrict Some Types OF Firearms In The State?
No. Wyoming does not prohibit the possession, manufacturing, or purchase of assault weapons in the state.
You can make use of machine guns and semi-automatic weapons in the state, as long as you comply with all federal laws and regulations.
Does Wyoming Issue Purchase Permit To Buy Firearms In The State?
No. The state does not issue any type of permit to buy firearms.
Is Criminal Record Background Check Compulsory For Firearm Purchase In Wyoming?
Provided you are buying firearms from a federally or state-licensed dealer, you must complete the criminal record background check.
However, private dealers are under no requirement to run this check before selling firearms.
Also, if you already have the state firearm permit, you will not have to undergo this check anymore.
When Will Wyoming Concealed Firearm Permit Expire?
The validity period for Wyoming firearm permit is five years after which you have to apply for a renewal.
How Long Will It Take To Get My Wyoming Firearm Permit?
The processing period for the permit application is ninety days.
Do I Have A Duty To Inform Law Enforcement Officers About My Possession Of Firearms In Wyoming?
Wyoming gun laws do not obligate anyone to inform or notify a law enforcement officer about the possession of firearms after coming across one.
Is Wyoming A Castle Doctrine State?
Wyoming has no duty to retreat and stand your ground policies for attacks in home residences or anywhere you have legal rights to be.
Is The Use Of Deadly Force Permitted For Self-defense In Wyoming?
Yes. You can make use of deadly force during self-defense when you think an attack will lead to severe bodily harm or imminent death.
The state will provide civil immunity in situations like this.
Is Firearm Training A Requirement For Concealed Weapon License In Wyoming?
Yes. Before you apply for a firearm permit in Wyoming, you must first complete training for firearm demonstration.
The training must be one of the government-approved one conducted by a state-certified instructor.
Must I Register My Firearm After Purchase In Wyoming?
No. Wyoming gun laws do not recommend any firearm registration in the state.
Relevant Open Carry Laws And Legislature In Wyoming.
Wyoming gun statutes relating to open carry of firearms in the state that you must know include the following:
No Weapon Sign.
It is a prohibition to trespass on premises where the possession of firearms is illegal, and the owner communicates this prohibition.
The notice to prohibit firearms according to this law include:
- Verbal communications to the visitor by the owner of the land, an occupant, law enforcement officer, or anybody standing in for the owner.
- Using signage for every visitor and intruder to see.
Anybody that trespasses on these kinds of land is guilty of a misdemeanor offense, and the punishment is a fine of about six months’ imprisonment, a fine of at most seven hundred and fifty dollars, or both.
Preemption Gun Laws.
Wyoming has a preemption policy on all gun laws.
This means that the state gun laws supersede any other one enacted by local municipalities, and the government reserves all right to regulate the use and possession of firearms in the state.
Brandishing Of Firearms.
It is illegal to make use of firearms unlawfully in Wyoming.
Anybody that points a firearm at another person, regardless of if it is loaded or not, in such a way that causes apprehension, violates this law.
The exceptions to this include the legal use of firearms by a law enforcement officer, and in situations of self-defense.
Under The Influence Of Alcohol.
Wyoming game and fish statute state that nobody shall make use of a firearm for hunting or any other activity while under the influence of alcohol or other intoxicants.
Open Carry While Hunting.
It is legal to open carry while hunting in Wyoming, but it is a prohibition to make use of firearms to take wildlife during bow hunting or in an archery season.
Hunter harassment law in Wyoming states that it is a prohibition to prevent licensed hunting in the state deliberately by:
- Interfering with a person who has a license to carry out a lawful hunting activity.
- Taking part in an activity that endangers wildlife or affects their behavior in such a way that prevents lawful hunting activity.
Furthermore, it is illegal to:
- Disobey any instruction from a peace officer or law enforcement officer, ordering you to stop any activity that violates this section of the law.
- Disobey the counsel of any organization appealing with its members to stop any activity violating this law.