Caswell Memorial State Park is a state park of California, United States. It is located in the Sierra Nevada mountain range and preserves the grave sites of its founders, Charles Fletcher Caswell and his wife Mary Averell Harriman Caswell. The park was established on July 10, 1923, through the donation of land by Mrs. Caswell’s nephews George W. Perkins and William A. Clark.
The campground features 33 campsites divided between RV, tent & yurt camping all with hookups. Half of the campsites are available on a first-come, first-served basis while the remainder must be reserved. Water is available nearby at Rock Creek, although there is no drinking water in the campground itself.
Camping season begins around March and ends around November, though many people prefer to go during the shoulder seasons because of the milder weather. Because of the remote nature of some of the park, visitors require a valid driver license and proof of insurance.
Pets are not permitted inside the park. No fires are allowed in the backcountry beyond the designated fire rings. Alcoholic beverages and unlicensed motor vehicles are prohibited. Violators will be cited and/or arrested.
In 1927, work began on the park under the direction of the National Park Service; it continued for two years with NPS staff members and about 200 workers from the Works Progress Administration. During World War II, the site became the property of the U.S. Army and was known as Fort Sherman. After the war, it was transferred to the Navy Department and renamed Naval Station Sierra. Later still, it came under the jurisdiction of the US Forest Service before finally being handed over to the State of California as Caswell Memorial State Park.
The original entrance to the park featured a large archway with a view of the surrounding mountainside. This gateway has been replaced by a smaller one that better fits within the context of the current road network surrounding the park. However, the basic contours of the park remain unchanged since the 1920s, including most of the trails leading into the forested interior, which are much less obvious than they once were due to increased traffic. The main trailhead is now at 4 Corners, where Highway 299 intersects with Highway 120. Other access points include Limekiln Road near Fairfield, Buckland Avenue in Calaveras, and Stone Canyon Road north of Murphys. There are several parking areas along the highway, but these fill up quickly so you may have to wait awhile to get your first choice.