Lake Jackson Mounds Archaeological State Park is a state park located in Volusia County, Florida. It consists of 1,400 acres (5km2) of land and 2,300 acres (10km2) of water that includes the lake known as Lake Jackson. The park contains one of the largest archaeological sites in the United States. This site was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places on February 16, 1970. Lake Jackson Mounds has long been used for ceremonial purposes by the Timucua people. They believed the mound to be an expression of their ancestral spirits.
In 1562, Spanish explorers first saw the mounds upon seeing smoke coming from them. These mounds are part of what would become known as La Florida, or New Spain. Within two years, all able-bodied men had left the fort to go hunt goats and pigs inside the nearby swamps. Because there were no women left at Fort St. Augustine, the mounds became unused except for limited farming activities until 1753 when a farmer named Antn de Carlos purchased the farm where the mounds now sit. He built a small house near the top of the tallest mound which he named San Antn de Carlos after himself. He planted crops, raised livestock, and engaged in trade with his neighbors. His son Ignacio inherited the estate but soon ran into financial trouble. To make matters worse, a severe drought occurred during 1763-1764.
Not having enough food to survive, Ignacio committed suicide in 1764 at age 47. His body was found at the foot of the mound with a gunshot wound to the head. After his death, the property passed to his infant daughter Francisca who died just four months later in May 1765. Her brother Francisco then took over the estate. However, he too died childless in 1769 at age 52 leaving the estate to pass back to the crown of Spain. With no heirs, it reverted to the original grantors, the king of Spain and the duke of Parma. Their majesties granted the lands again to Antn’s grandson Juan Jos de Goya y Manzanedo, a favorite of King Charles III. He received the legal title in 1796.