What To Look For In A Handgun Range Bag
A handgun range bag is an essential piece of equipment for anyone who plans to carry a handgun on a regular basis. When choosing a handgun accessory, you want something that will be reliable and easy to access. You also want something that won't cause you to delay in shooting if it is needed. Here are a few things you should look for in the perfect handgun range bag:
- Durability: It is important that your handgun range bag is durable. This bag should be made out of strong, waterproof material so that it can withstand exposure to the elements. Also, if you are planning on using this bag to store extra ammunition, you will need to have it with dual or triple-side pockets. Another great feature to look for is a large, durable, solid zipper or other closure system. This will ensure that your ammunition is stored safely and securely without any delays in firing.
- Magazine Storage: Because you will be carrying more ammunition than with a standard pistol, it is important that you have the ability to quickly and easily change out your magazines. Look for a gear bag that has multiple, deep zippered pockets that are easy to access. You will want to ensure that the magazines do not bind or become tangled, which could cause a serious injury if an accident were to occur. Along with magazine storage, always look for a gear bag with an external, tensioned strap that is secure on both sides and that has a strong hook latch to keep the bag from falling over.
- Padlock Protection: Having a secure padlock on your bags allows you to keep the magazines in place and to keep them out of the hands of children or other individuals while you are shooting. This will ensure that your handgun is kept in a safe location, away from kids and others who could potentially get a hold of it. Zippers should be padded or lined to ensure that they remain open and out of the way. Many pistol bags have a keypad attached to the outside of the bag, so you will have a way to enter your code to lock or unlock the bag. If you are choosing automatic loading pistols, this feature can be very handy.
- Durability: One of the most important features to consider when purchasing a new handgun bag is the durability of the fabric and the other materials used to construct it. A nylon or heavy duty webbing should be used for your gear bag to make sure that it withstands repeated washings and that it is durable enough to stand up to regular use. Some other materials may rip or wear down over time, which could create an unsecure bag that leaks. In addition, the zippers on the outside should be reinforced to prevent them from becoming torn free from metal or fabric as you transport your handgun to and from shooting ranges. Additionally, the gun case should be made of durable nylon or high quality vinyl for durability from normal handling and abuse.
- Security and Modular Design: Among the key features to look for is how well the bag secures your handgun as you transport it. There are several different styles of pistol cases that include a key holder and zipper pockets for securing your pistol. Some models include both zippers and key features. The key features can include multiple combinations while the zipper feature can only accept a single combination at a time. In addition, some bags have a removable inner lining so that your handgun remains securely encased even if the bag gets scratched or scuffed.
- Functionality: Aside from the key features mentioned above, look for overall functionality when shopping for handgun range bags. Does it have an adjustable cantilever that can be utilized to support the weight of the handgun? Does it have an adjustable or removable shoulder strap so that it can be easily carried? Are the handles ergonomically designed so that they don't hinder the comfortable handling of the firearm?
When you're looking for the perfect range bag to store your handgun and other ammunition, there are a variety of different options available on the market today. Most people prefer to purchase a soft carrying case because it is lightweight and usually has an adjustable cantilever and snap shut lid with snap shut flaps. Some people prefer carrying their ammunition in a separate retention case. No matter what type of handgun you prefer to carry, it's important to keep it safe and secure.