In Maine, the Department of Public Service (DSP) is in charge of granting a CCW permit through the state’s police office.
However, you can apply to the local police station closest to your place of residence.
Maine operates on a shall-issue policy. After you have met the requirements, the issuing board will make further assessments and determine if your application should be accepted or not.
Maine issues both resident and non-residents permits, hence application is open to all.
Maine Gun Laws
You cannot conceal carry in Maine without the CCW permit. The permit is called Carry Concealed Handguns (CCH).
The states issue both residents and non-residents permits, and you can apply if you are eighteen years old or above.
Maine concealed carry class for firearm training is an essential requirement to proceed for the CCW permit application.
There are also restrictions on gun usage in some locations.
On rare occasions, some of these places will have particular areas where you can keep your firearm until you have completed your mission.
Maine CCW Reciprocity
Talking about Maine’s reciprocity with other countries, you are lawfully allowed to possess your firearm in the state without a CCW permit, because Maine operates on a permitless carry policy.
But you must be within the age requirement of twenty-one before this reciprocity law applies.
However, Maine attaches a lot of regulation to a permitless carry.
Without Maine CCW permit of that from a state that Maine reciprocates, you cannot possess a firearm in the following places:
- The Acadia park.
- Other state parks.
- Game hunting and ranging.
- In restricted workplace areas. Usually, the car park.
Other aspects of Maine CCW permit reciprocity include the following:
- States that Maine will accept their CCW permit: Since Maine does not require a permit, everybody above the age of twenty-one can possess a gun. If you are eighteen years old or more and you own a firearm in Maine, you must have a state’s CCW permit that Maine recognizes. This law applies to all states in the country.
- States that honor Maine CCW permit: These states have reciprocity with Maine, and they allow you to conceal carry as long as you are with the required permit. There are four of them, excluding Oklahoma that requires a driver’s license or any other type of state identification alongside the permit.
- States that have restricted reciprocity with Maine: These states will only honor a “residents only” CCW permit from Maine. So, if you have Maine’s non-resident permit, you cannot use it to conceal carry in this state. There are twelve of them.
- States that have permitless carry: Just like Maine, these states do not require any permit to possess a firearm in their territory. There are fourteen of them. Most permitless states still limit the usage of firearms in some areas. Make sure that you have a foreknowledge of this before visiting these states.
Maine CCW Location Restriction
Your Maine concealed carry permit does not give you total freedom to be with your gun everywhere.
This law is very critical in the state, and you once caught, you will be charged.
Places Where You Can’t Conceal Carry In Maine
- You cannot conceal carry in schools, colleges, and universities, either owned publicly or privately owned.
- You cannot conceal carry in courthouses and during court proceedings.
- You cannot conceal carry around the state capitol area.
- You cannot conceal carry in privately owned buildings or properties that have a post prohibiting the possession of firearms.
- You cannot conceal carry in bars that sell alcohol as long as they carry a post prohibiting guns. Even without such post, possession of firearms under the influence of alcohol or any other intoxicating substance is illegal.
- You cannot conceal carry in hotels or campgrounds that have limited the use of guns and other dangerous properties.
- You cannot conceal carry in wildlife areas.
- You cannot conceal carry during strikes, rallies, and labor disputes.
- You cannot conceal carry in places where federal laws have prohibited the possession of firearms.
Places Where You Can Conceal Carry
Maine gun restriction laws do not restrict you from carrying your firearm in the following places:
- Restaurants and bars as long as you are not under the influence of alcohol, and the place does not prohibit possession of CCW.
- You can conceal carry in your vehicle even without a CCW permit.
- You can conceal carry in roadside areas.
- You can conceal carry in wildlife and forest areas used for ranging
- You can conceal carry in places of worship as long as no post or signage restricts possession of firearms
Conceal Carry For Law Enforcement Officers In Maine
Federal laws allow Active law enforcement officers, retired law enforcement officers, and out of service law enforcement officers to carry concealed firearms in any state.
This law means that law enforcement officers will not undergo restriction from off-limits locations without permits.
In Maine, retired Law enforcement officers must undergo training from any of the state’s criminal justice academy. A certified instructor must oversee this training.
Retired officers that pass these training would get a certificate, and only after then are they able to conceal carry in Maine.
Restriction Of Other Weapons In Maine
You can own various types of knives, but most municipalities have regulations on which knife type is allowed in public.
Other dangerous weapons that you can not conceal carry or possess in public include but not limited to:
- Bowie knives etc.
Buying And Selling Of Guns In Maine
Before buying, selling, transporting, and transferring firearms in Maine, you should have an understanding of what the law allows or not.
Purchase Permits And Background Checks
You do not need a permit before you can buy a firearm in Maine. Still, you may have to undergo a background check, depending on whether you are buying or transferring.
Maine Department of Public Safety provides sellers of firearms with criminal history records. If your background check does not come out clean, you cannot purchase a gun.
Owning a Maine CCW permit does not exclude you from the background check when you want to purchase a firearm.
On the contrary, a background check is essential for the transfer of a firearm. However, other prohibitions like minimum age requirements still apply.
Also, make sure you do not lose your gun receipt. It will help you claim ownership whenever you need to
There is also no gun registration policy in Maine.
Waiting Period For Purchase Of Gun
There is no waiting period to get your gun after a purchase. Once the deal has been complete, you can leave.
Age Requirement To Deal With Gun In Maine
Before you can sell, buy, transport, or transfer any firearm, you must be at least eighteen years old.
Possessing A Gun In Your Private Property.
You can possess a gun in your home without the need for a permit.
Maine CCW Permit Requirement
You can only apply for a Maine CCW Permit if you are sure that you meet all requirements stated by the law.
The requirements are as follows:
- You must be at least eighteen years old.
- You must not have a state law firearm restriction.
- You must be able to demonstrate that you have acquired the necessary training with knowledge of firearm safety.
- You must be of ethical-moral conduct. The issuing body will assess this based on your record for the last five years.
- You must not be convicted by a judge for possession of firearms under the influence of alcohol during the last five years before you apply.
- You must not be guilty of a domestic abuse charge that involves investigations from law enforcement in the last five years.
- You must be free from any crime in the United States that is punishable by a prison term of less than one year.
- You must not be involved in any reckless or careless action that has led to an investigation by law enforcement agencies in the last five years.
- You must not be a narcotic or caught engaging in illicit substances in the last four years.
- You must meet all federal requirements that concern the issue of CCW permit
How To Apply For A CCW Permit
Now that you know all the requirements to meet, the next step is to apply for your Maine concealed carry permit.
The stages include the following:
Complete A Firearm Training
First, enroll for Maine concealed carry class. Ensure that the course is a government recognized one with a certified instructor.
Collect your training certificate after completing the course.
Download The Application
Visit your local police website and download the application form.
Submit All Necessary Document
You can either visit your local police station to submit these documents or send them by mail. The documents include:
- Your completed CCW permit application.
- Two release information forms.
- A photocopy of your birth certificate, or an INS document.
- Your colored passport photograph.
- Your training certificate with proof of handgun safety knowledge.
- Any preexisting CCW permits from other states or municipalities in Maine.
- Any member of the Armed Forces proof if you are military personnel.
- The required fees.
Receive Application Notification
You will get an approval or rejected mail after the waiting period.
How To Apply For Renewal Application In Maine
Your Maine CCW permit is valid for four years, after which you have an option to renew or forfeit it.
Application for renewal elapses six months after the expiry date.
The process to renew include the following:
Download Renewal Application
Visit your local police website to download the renewal application.
Submit The Necessary Documents
You can mail your documents to the state police, or you submit in at your local police. The documents include the following:
- Your completed renewal application
- Two release information forms..
- Your colored passport photograph,
- Your expired permit issued by any municipality in Maine.
- Proof of membership in the armed forces if you are military personnel.
- The required fee.
Castle Doctrine In Maine
One of the most delicate parts of Maine gun laws is the Castle Doctrine.
Castle Doctrine justifies the use of violent force against a person in the following situations:
- If you have reasons to believe that such force is necessary against someone using a deadly force against you or another person
- Against someone who is about to commit the following crimes; kidnap, rape assault, or armed robbery against you or another person.
- Against an intruder that is unlawfully breaking into your home or dwelling place.
- To prevent yourself or anyone that stays in your home against an inflicted injury attempt by the intruder.
Maine castle doctrine does not justify the use of a deadly force when you provoke the encounter or incident, or when you or the third party is safe from any harm.
What you should do in this situation include the following:
- Retreat from the situation except if it is in your home, and you are the instigator.
- Gently surrender your property.
- Comply with the request of the attacker to prevent a situation where he or she performs a dangerous act against you, that they are not supposed to.
Firearm Training Requirements In Maine
Before Maine concealed carry permit application, you must complete a firearm safety course that is organized or licensed by the law enforcement agency.
The course could also be Maine concealed carry online, as long as the instructor is state-certified.
In some situations, you have to prove your knowledge of firearm safety to the CCW permit issuing body as an alternative to the firearm training course.
Maine Concealed Carry FAQs.
Here are some frequently asked questions about Maine CCW.
How Long Will It Take Me To Get My CCW Permit?
If you have lived in Maine for more than five years, the processing period for your CCW permit will be thirty days.
For non-resident and those who lived in the state for less than five years, a processing period of sixty days is mandatory.
Can I get a Non-resident CCW Permit In Maine?
Maine issues both residents and non-residents CCW permits. Both follow the same process.
How Much Is Maine CCW Application?
A new permit costs thirty-five dollars while the renewal costs twenty dollars.
Issues such as change of name, address, or stolen permits cost a charge of two dollars.
How Soon Can I Apply For A CCW Permit In Maine After Changing Residence?
You must notify the issuing authority about a change of residence on or before thirty days after moving.
Failure to do so means forfeiture of your permit, and you will have to apply all over again.
Where Can I Report Stolen and Lost CCW Permits?
Contact your local police station for any case of stolen or lost permit as soon as possible. You will get a duplicate permit.