GLS Shooting Logo
Click Here to Get Your CCW PERMIT

Washington Gun Laws

  • No
  • Yes
  • Yes, with restrictions
  • Current
Learn More

Washington is a “Shall Issue” state where open carry is technically legal, but not common in the state. You will need a permit to carry a hangun in a vehicle, and conceal carry permits are provided for both residents and non-residents at the local sheriff office.

You must be 21 and not be a felon to obtain a permit, and it’s important to note you do not need a firearms training course.

Washington state seal width=

Washington Gun Laws Quick Facts

Open Carry Permitted? Yes
Carry In Vehicle? No
Carry In State Park? Yes
Carry In Restaurants? Yes
Constitutional Carry? No
No Weapon Sign Enforced? No
Must Notify Officer? No

Washington CCW Reciprocity List

States Honoring CCW

  • Alabama
  • Alaska
  • Arizona
  • Arkansas
  • Idaho
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Michigan
  • Mississippi
  • Missouri
  • Montana
  • North Carolina
  • North Dakota
  • Ohio
  • Oklahoma
  • South Dakota
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Vermont
  • Virginia
  • Wisconsin

States NOT Honoring CCW

  • California
  • Colorado
  • Connecticut
  • Delaware
  • District of Columbia
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Hawaii
  • Maine
  • Maryland
  • Massachusetts
  • Minnesota
  • Nebraska
  • Nevada
  • New Hampshire
  • New Jersey
  • New Mexico
  • New York
  • Oregon
  • Pennsylvania
  • Rhode Island
  • South Carolina
  • West Virginia
  • Wyoming

Honors These States CCW Permits

  • Idaho
  • Kansas
  • Louisiana
  • Minnesota
  • North Carolina
  • North Dakota
  • Ohio
  • Oklahoma
  • Tennessee
  • Utah

How Reciprocity Works In Washington

Under Washington law the state can only honor another states concealed carry license if;

  • the other state honors a Washington concealed carry license.
  • The state does not issue CPL licenses to persons under the age of 21.
  • The state has fingerprint based checks for background and mental health history on applicants.

Currently only 9 states meet these requirements for their licenses to be honored by Washington.

Get Your Concealed Carry Weapon Permit Online in Minutes

Click Here to Get Your CCW PERMIT

Reciprocity Agreements In Washington

Washington: Where Is CCW Allowed?

Places Allowed

  • State parks
  • State and national forests
  • Road side rest areas
  • Vehicle
  • All areas of the state, except those listed as Off-Limits

Places Not Allowed

  • Public schools
  • Correctional facility
  • Law enforcement facility
  • State courthouses
  • Mental health facilities
  • Outdoor music festival
  • Secured areas in airports
  • Places listed below that have Rules that state no firearms allowed on Premises;
    • Colleges/Universities,
    • Licensed Child Care Facilities,
    • Racing Association Grounds,
    • An Emergency Respite Center,
    • Licensed Pregnant and Parenting Teen Residential Programs And Their Facilities,
    • Licensed Homes and Facilities That Provide Care To Children,
    • Overnight Youth Shelter & Residence Operated By the Juvenile Rehabilitation Administration
  • All facilities operated by the Office of Administrative Hearings
  • Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by Federal Law.

Washington: Conceal Carry Laws

Open Carry


WITH OR WITHOUT A PERMIT Open carry without a permit is legal. However, you will need a CCW license to carry a loaded firearm in any vehicle. Any vehicle means cars, buses, and trains. The minimum age for open carry is 21. The Law 29-11.7-704

Carry In Vehicle


WITHOUT A PERMIT Without a License – If you do not have a permit then it is illegal to carry a loaded firearm in any vehicle. You can still carry a firearm if it is unloaded and in a closed opaque case or secure wrapper. With a License – you can carry a loaded firearm in a vehicle as long as you have your permit with you at all times. The Law RCW 9.41.050 RCW 9.41.060.

Carry In State Parks


It is legal to carry in the following areas; State Parks: YES – WAC 352.32.120 State/National Forests: YES – WAC 332.52.145 State Wildlife Management Areas: YES – WAC 220.500.140 Road Side Rest Areas: YES

Carry In Restaurants


In Restaurants That Serve Alcohol You are restricted to areas of the restaurant where persons under the age of 21 are allowed. “Yes” or “No” states if you can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol. Some restaurants may be posted with “NO GUN” signs. Check with the staff if this means just the bar area. If we have indicated a “Yes” then it should be legal to have a meal without drinking alcohol. The Law RCW 9.41.300

Constitutional Carry


Washington does not have constitutional carry.

No Weapon Signs Enforced


“No Weapons” signs are not mentioned in Washington gun laws. There are no legal penalties for entering a private property or business that has posted these signs. They have no force of law unless they are posted in areas that are mentioned by the law as being off limits.

Must Notify Officer


MUST INFORM OFFICER Washington gun laws require you to have your CCW license on you at all times you are carrying a firearm and display the permit to an officer if requested to do so. You do not have to inform law enforcement you are carrying a firearm. The Law RCW 9.41.050 – Carrying firearms

The information provided on the Website is for general information purposes only and is not an alternative to legal advice from your lawyer. This post may contain references to products and services from our partners. We may receive commissions from our partners when you click on some of the links. Learn More