Idaho gun laws allow any person who is at least 18 years old to carry a concealed firearm outside of cities without a permit. To carry inside a city without a permit you must be at least 21 years of age. An enhanced concealed carry permit is available for those that wish to travel out-of-state. Some reciprocity states will only accept the enhanced version of Idaho’s permit. Applications for residents are made at their local county sheriff’s office. Non-residents can only apply at the Canyon county or Ada county sheriff’s office. Idaho is a “Shall Issue” state for concealed carry. Open carry is legal and common in Idaho, must be 18 or older.
- Must be at lease 21 years of age.
- Are a US citizen.
- Demonstrate familiarity with the firearm through a course.
- Resident of Idaho for at least six months.
- Not the subject of a withheld judgment for a crime prohibiting a carry license; or released pending trial, appeal or sentencing for a crime prohibiting a carry license.
- Has not been adjudicated guilty of or received a withheld judgment or suspended sentence for one or more crimes of violence constituting a misdemeanor, unless three years has elapsed since disposition.
- Federal Law – Prohibits the following persons
Follow these steps to obtain a concealed carry permit;
- Do a training course if required.
- Download the application form or pickup from your local Sheriffs office.
- You will need to take the following documents to your local Sheriffs office;
- Completed application
- Proof of training
- Photo ID
- You will be fingerprinted.
- You will be informed by mail if your permit has been approved or declined.
- Concealed carry Weapons License’s can be renewed within 90 days before and 90 days after the Expiry date.
- A new license application must be made if the license has expired for more than 90 days.
The law sets the above fee’s at $20 for an original license and $15 for a renewal license. However, the local sheriff is permitted to charge extra fee’s for fingerprinting etc. This will vary between counties but on average is about $64 for a new license.
- State parks
- State and national forests
- Road side rest areas
Carry In Vehicle
Carry In State Parks
Carry In Restaurants
No Weapons Signs Enforced
Must Notify Officer