Wyoming considers itself a "shall-issue" state in regards to providing CCW's for residents. They have a specific permit called the Wyoming Concealed Carry Firearms Permit (WCFP) which gets processed by the local sheriff's office within the county of residence. The local police have discretion in deciding to issue a concealed carry permit to any applicant.
Two Options to Purchase a Gun in Wyoming:
1) Private Individual
You're not required to provide a permit, background check, or be subject to any waiting period if you're purchasing from a private individual.
2) Federal Firearms Dealer
You ARE required to go through a background check if purchasing a handgun from a Federal Firearms Dealer. If you're a WCFP holder you can be exempt from this process while purchasing a firearm.
You must be at least 18 to open carry, and you can do so without a permit in Wyoming. This new law came into effect on July 1, 2021 which allows for permitless concealed carry for any legal resident 21 years or older, and who may possess a firearm lawfully.
Wyoming does NOT issue non-resident concealed carry permits. Wyoming only honors permits from other states which recognize the Wyoming concealed carry permit.
Wyoming Gun Laws Quick Facts
✅ Yes - On July 1st, 2021, Wyoming passed a constitutional carry law which allows for any individual 21 or older with a U.S. citizen who may legally own a firearm to concealed or openly carry without a permit.
Open Carry Permitted?
✅ Yes - Wyoming allows for permit-less open carry for any individual 18 or older and who is legally allowed to own a firearm.
Carry In Vehicle?
✅ Yes - Wyoming allows for permit-less concealed carry within a vehicle so long as you're 21 or older and legally allowed to own a firearm.
Carry In State Park?
✅ Yes - Wyoming allows for permit-less carry within their state and national parks, however you CANNOT use those firearms unless specifically granted.
Carry In Restaurants?
✅ Yes - Wyoming allows for permit-less concealed carry within restaurants or establishments, but you may not carry into bars or bar sections of restaurants.
No Weapon Sign Enforced?
✅ Yes - Wyoming recognizes no weapons signs as having the force of law behind them. Any individual entering a property (or land) with a no weapons sign can be found guilty of trespassing.
Must Notify Officer?
❌ No - Wyoming does not have a duty to inform law. However, if specifically asked you must provide a truthful answer.
States Honoring CCW
* Restricted Reciprocity with Wyoming
States NOT Honoring CCW
Honors These States CCW Permits
Any individual who has a permit to conceal carry in another reciprocal U.S. state is legally allowed to carry a firearm in Wyoming. During their time in Wyoming, they will be subject to the laws of the county and state.
Wyoming: Where Is CCW Allowed?
- State parks
- State and national forests
- Road side rest areas
- All areas of the state – except those listed below
Places Not Allowed
- Any facility used primarily for law enforcement operations or administration without the written consent of the chief administrator
- Any detention facility, prison or jail
- Any courtroom, except that nothing in this section shall preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in the courtroom.
- Any meeting of a governmental entity
- Any meeting of the legislature or a committee thereof
- Any school, college or professional athletic event not related to firearms
- Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic liquor and malt beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to that purpose
- Any place where persons are assembled for public worship, without the written consent of the chief administrator of that place
- Any elementary or secondary school facility
- Any college or university facility without the written consent of the security service of the college or university
- Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by Federal Law.
Wyoming: Conceal Carry Laws
Yes, open carry is legal in Wyoming without a license.
Carry In Vehicle
Yes, any person who can legally possess a firearm is allowed to carry a loaded handgun inside a vehicle as long as it is not concealed on your person and is visible.
Wyoming residents who can legally own a firearm can carry it concealed on their person in a vehicle without any type of permit/license. Non-residents must have a permit/license to carry a concealed firearm in a vehicle.
Carry In State Parks
Yes, you are permitted to carry in state parks, state forests, WMA’s and roadside rest areas. However, you cannot USE the firearms when in the state park.
Carry In Restaurants
In Restaurants That Serve Alcohol “Yes” or “No” states if you can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol. Some restaurants may be posted with “NO GUN” signs. Check with the staff if this means just the bar area. If we have indicated a “Yes” then it should be legal to have a meal without drinking alcohol.
Yes, Wyoming is a constitutional carry state.
No Weapon Signs Enforced
Yes, Wyoming gun laws give the force of law to “No Weapons” signs. There are legal penalties for entering a private property or business that has posted these signs.
Must Notify Officer
No, there are no legal requirements under Wyoming gun laws to tell law enforcement you have a firearm. The law does state that you must carry a valid Wyoming photo ID when carrying and produce it when requested when you're carrying.