James P. Philip State Park is an undeveloped state park in the town of Oglesby, Knox County, Illinois, United States. The park was named after James Penfield Philip, a prominent attorney and former U.S. Representative from Decatur who practiced law in Rockford, Illinois. On November 2, 1952, at a meeting of the Board of Directors of the Knox-Wayne State Park District, it was suggested that the name of one of their parks be changed to honor Mr. Philip. A resolution doing so was adopted on May 17, 1953, by the board of directors of the Knox-Wayne State Park District.
Prior to this time there were two other nearby state parks which already honored individuals: Peoria Lake State Park (Peoria) and Starkville State Park (Starkville). Both had been established in 1945 and both received their designation as a state park in 1950. In 1955, however, the Illinois House of Representatives Appreciation Committee recommended that the naming of the park be dropped because, in part, there were already too many parks bearing the names of famous people. However, no action was ever taken by the General Assembly to change the name. The original 560 acres have grown to 740 acres through various tax incentives and donations. Efforts are now being made to secure additional lands for the park.